February 5, 2021
Q&A with Sara Garvey - Syracuse University
- What is your current role at your institution/company? Associate Director, Corporate Relations, Syracuse University - Whitman School of Management
- How long have you been a NACRO member? I joined in December 2019. I started in my new role in October 2019, and when looking for professional development opportunities I came across NACRO and was intrigued by the organization. I looked into Bootcamp and thought it could be a great opportunity to learn more about NACRO and the profession.
- What do you enjoy most about your NACRO membership? I joined in December 2019 and attended Bootcamp in February 2020 and felt it was extremely beneficial in many ways. I brought back so many ideas from the conference, many of which we were in the process of implementing when COVID-19 struck. In August 2020, I joined the professional development committee because I wanted to be a part of all the great virtual events I attended throughout the spring and summer. I have learned at least one great thing from all nine of the virtual sessions I attended in 2020.
- So far, what has been your greatest Corporate Relations success? What has been your greatest challenge? Bringing together development, career, alumni, and corporate relations so we are all working together in a very strategic way and supporting each other in all that we do. Being in this positions only a year, and most of it during a pandemic, I would have to say being successful is also because of our alumni and corporate partners being amazing and stepping up in so many ways to ensure our student’s success during this challenging time.
- What’s something about you (a fun fact) that not many people know? I hold my high school jumping record to this day. When I broke the record at 17, it was a 17-year record. Still holding at 22 years, it is the school’s longest standing record.